2020 Possible Referendum Changes

Nora+Jacobs

Rose Senior

Nora Jacobs

District 112 and the referendum are undergoing many changes in 2020. One of which is the change to the class schedule. It has been proposed that the usual seven-period schedule will be shortened to six. In addition to the schedule change, the district is also making changes to the graduation requirements. The school board will approve of these changes on February 24th.

The changes have created a variety of emotions among the students of Chanhassen High School. They feel as if it will be more of a challenge to earn credits. Maria Valentine, a freshman at Chanhassen High School states, “with the new schedule, I’m concerned about the rest of my high school career. There are many questions that students at Chanhassen High School have. But, once we know the answers, I believe it will calm the storm.” Valentine also touches base on the classes that will be cut, and the effect that has on the students. “Cutting classes would result in bigger class size. Will it be harder for the students to learn?” 

There are hundreds of perspectives on the new referendum. In response to the student’s concern about not having enough credits, Tim Block, a physics teacher at Chanhassen High School states, “Past students who have graduated with eight or nine advanced placement classes, could still achieve that after the changes. Now, students will have one less physical education requirement and one less fine arts requirement. So, they will have an equal opportunity to graduate with those same AP goals.” Another important change in the referendum affects the Capstone requirement. If the vote passes, capstone will no longer be required for graduating classes. Block claims, “From what I have experienced, many of our seniors do their capstone in a relatively short period of time. While I really like the idea of capstone the way they’re doing it now, we do need to cut some things.”

Although there are many rumors about the changes occurring in the schools, none are final yet. Block states, “We are not set on everything yet. The board still needs to approve of it. But, we will definitely have work to do. A majority of people working in the      district will get things done, so we can meet the budget.”

In addition to the schedule and requirement alterations, there are potential cuts to the world language requirements. With the new referendum, students are not required to take a world language course. Nora Jacobs, a freshman in Spanish four, states, “In my opinion, every student should be required to take a world language course. It is an important skill to have in life, and it is good for your brain.” Jacobs also believes that taking a world language is essential when applying to universities. The majority of colleges require at least two to three years of a world language. When a student doesn’t have the correct qualifications in a world language course, it can be crucial to their application. Block explains, “if a student is intending on going to college, they should take a world language. But, cutting the requirement provides more of a choice. The problem is, some students won’t take a language course and could regret it in the future. Now, parents and counselors have a bigger job of encouraging students to take a language course.”

Even when large changes are occurring, the district staff, counselors, and teachers want what is best for students in our district. Block specifies, “We will do everything we can to make sure students walk out with the same value, no matter what the change is.”