Students Share the Path to Honor Roll

Reeti+Thakker%2C+freshman%2C+studying+

Reeti Thakker, freshman, studying

Honor roll; it’s something that many worry and stress over. At Chanhassen High school, countless students make the honor roll. Students on A Honor Roll have a 3.667-4.0 grade point average and students on B Honor Roll have a 3.0-3.666 grade point average. As freshman, Grace Lynch, Thomas Hubbard, Kate McKainney, and Robbie Wichterman made the honor roll and having made it last year. This suggests that people who start early usually continue to make the honor roll. This semester’s honor has not come out yet, so it is not known if they have made it again. Based on past years, it’s likely that they did. 

Four students shared their tips for getting good grades. Reeti Thakkar, a freshman with a 3.95 GPA, said that she generally studies for an hour or two extra, other than homework. She plans out what she needs to do before she sits down and studies. When asked if she had any tips for people wanting to be successful in school, Thakkar said “One tip I have is to take notes. Regardless of what the slides say, I think it’s important to get everything and write it down in a way you can understand.” Thakkar says that what motivates her to do well in school is the knowledge that she could have a relaxed and successful future. “The more I try in school the more it will pay off in the future.” 

Christopher Patz, a sophomore with a 4.00 GPA, had a lot to say about his study methods. “I always do my homework, and if there is any trouble that I have with it, I do similar activities until I completely understand the concept enough to explain it. For memorization stuff, I usually use flashcards or a version thereof. I try to limit using my notes as much as possible. If I need my notes, I continue to work until I don’t. I try to do my homework in a quiet place alone. Sometimes I put in instrumental music just for background noise.” Patz’s study tips for other students is to stop procrastinating and to try to get things done well but also quickly. He recommends allowing high focus time periods for work, and then taking specific timed breaks every once and awhile. Like all the other students interviewed, Patz’s motivations for doing well in school are being able to get the best higher education possible, so he can get a good job, and do what he loves at a higher level. 

Shadi Barham, a junior with a GPA of 3.61, didn’t have much to say about this topic. Barham studies depending on the difficulty of the class; for some he doesn’t do much, for others he does the homework and that’s enough. His advice for being successful was “Make sure that you can handle your workload. It’s helpful because if you have a situation where there’s too much work, you’re just going to feel overworked and stressed. In general, don’t bite off more than you can chew.” His motivation, like the others, is to get into a good college, and also to be able to brag about his GPA. 

Lastly, Kate McKainney, a senior with a 3.905 GPA, said she crams before the night before usually but she does study an hour before major tests. McKainney mainly uses Quizlet to study. Her tips are “Start studying earlier, go over key info before you sleep so you are more likely to remember it.” 

Getting on the honor roll can help achieve what each student expressed was their motivation for getting good grades. Mrs. Mattron, the College Resource and Career Center coordinator, gave some insight on what kind of opportunities being on the honor roll can open up. “It can be a wide variety of things. It shows academic integrity, it shows academic engagement, it shows and interest in learning. It represents that to some extent. There’s a sense that you try to do your best. That can translate to applying to different situations. It factors into admission  decisions of some colleges, it’s not necessarily something that will keep you from something. It might open the door to scholarship money. Theoretically it sets you up to be successful at the next level.” Mrs. Mattron restated that the importance of a high GPA depends greatly on the college, but it is an important factor. Colleges will also look at what type of courses a student has taken and their grades in each of them. “The best thing you can do is give your best at whatever you’re involved in and that will create the most opportunities.” 

For many, the path to honor roll is also a path to admission into a quality college education and future job opportunities.