Sounds of the City

On Saturday, February 8th at 7:00 PM, the District 112 Band Department will be hosting their highly anticipated annual Jazz Festival at the Chaska High School Theatre. The festival will feature ensembles from both Chanhassen and Chaska High Schools, all middle schools, as well as various adult jazz ensembles from the community. In addition, professor from MSU, Douglas Snap, will be a clinician at the festival. 

This festival is well beloved by many members of the community. Paul Swanson, Chanhassen High School Band Director, warns community members the festival has sold out for the last several years, so be sure to secure your tickets sooner rather than later if you are interested in attending. The website where tickets are sold will be attached at the bottom of this article.

Members of the Chanhassen High School Jazz Bands have been working tirelessly to prepare for the upcoming festival. Blake Duea, a sophomore and guitar player for the Monday Night Big Band, says, “The ensemble has taught many of us important skills for playing jazz, like understanding the timing of musical pieces, as well as improvisation”. Improv is necessary to jazz. These skills promise an exciting performance for viewers. 

Robbie Wichterman, a senior in the Monday Night Big Band rhythm section, says, “Learning skills make for more entertaining music for an audience to listen to is what makes jazz band enjoyable”. Duea explains that the jazz bands give musicians opportunities to try different music styles and songs that the students are excited about. Their excitement about the music is contagious. 

Each ensemble is full of talent and passion about the music they play. Anyone who comes to the festival will likely enjoy themselves. 

Ticket link:

https://district112.booktix.com/cart.php