Filed under Features

Ramping up

What is Ramp Up and how does it help students?

Ramp Up to Readiness is a program made for students to give them knowledge about what to do after graduation. Created by the University of Minnesota, it is used in many schools all across the state or Minnesota. Chanhassen High School has been using Ramp Up for three years now.

“I think that the intent is really good,” Emily Mattran from the Career Resource Center said. “It is a way to try to standardize, or try to make sure that everybody hears the same kind of information.”

Teachers deliver the content through grade-specific PowerPoints. Some lessons include interactive activities that get students to engage with one another.

“The teachers don’t need to be the experts on it,” Mattran said. “So I think sometimes that can be hard for someone to present the information when they don’t feel they know how it all works.”

In Ramp Up, students focus on charting their progress in the readiness rubric. The teachers focus on getting the five pillars across – financial readiness, social readiness, career readiness, academic readiness, and emotional readiness. This helps students change their way of thinking so they can apply their thoughts to the five pillars.

The University of Minnesota created this with engaging activities so that students could have fun while learning and thinking of their future. “High schools in Minnesota have to prove they have postsecondary planning in place, some method that you can put in some concrete way of what we do to help students get ready for what they want to do after graduation,” Mattran said.

The University of Minnesota thinks that postsecondary planning is important so students get an idea on what they want to do after high school. “The Readiness Rubric helps students ask and answer: What do I need to do to reach that goal?” The University of Minnesota said on its website.

The University of Minnesota has also done studies and has proven that academic success alone isn’t enough for college readiness, because you need to train the emotional part of your brain for college too. The main idea of each lesson is to make a point of having the student think about their future and reflect upon themselves.