Filed under Student Life

Quad learners discuss new approach to teaching and learning

Students in the Quad area teaching themselves things such as math lessons, historical events, health aspects of life, and literary devices.

“The Quad is personalized to your learning,” Haley Ellefson (9) said. “You choose what classes to take and what classes meet your needs.”

This new learning system known as The Quad is an academic program in which 126 freshman have chosen to be a part of. These students have hours two through five to work on math, personal wellness, English, and history. Some of the students had already been doing something similar to the Quad since sixth grade, so they are familiar with it.

“I enjoy how The Quad works because it fits to your own needs, not the whole class’ needs. It’s much different from middle school because it has much more freedom, and in middle school you couldn’t choose your work or classes like you can in The Quad,” Sydney Hardek (9) said.

The day in the life of a Quad student consists of going to the Forum at the beginning of second hour and using the flextime scheduler to sign up for their daily classes. They also have a choice to do something called personal flex, and that’s where they can teach the lessons to themselves.

“I like how personalized The Quad is because I go home and don’t have as much homework as I used to, which makes it easier with sports and other activities,” said Olivia Rinzel (9).

Other students in The Quad say that managing their own time has become a lot easier, along with staying up to speed in challenging high school courses.

“I like The Quad because if I already know the information being taught in the class, then I don’t have to sit through another seminar,” Samantha Dragos (9) said.