Filed under Features

Technology Evolution

Student working on Chromebook

Madilyn Welton

Student working on Chromebook

Technology has improved immensely over the years. Students have gone from using textbooks to now having their very own Chromebooks. This transition has offered students many more resources and different ways to learn.

Many kids in school use technology to complete and turn in work. “I use it to get a math book, my history work, Google Docs and presentations, and projects online. I get assignments from teachers on Google classroom and turn stuff in there,” Madi Bogenreif (9) said.

Technology has allowed kids to get information faster. It has allowed students to go beyond the walls of the classroom to get their information. Since students have been getting their own Chromebooks, they are able to do so much more.

“I use it to get school work done and use Google Drive. I use Empower because I’m in The Quad,” Kourtney Zehlke (9) said. Empower is a learning management system that allows students to see their progress on the learning targets and standards.

Now that every student has a Chromebook, teachers use less paper for homework. “I think Chromebooks encourage environmental efficiency,” English teacher Naomi Jones said.

The staff of the school use technology to their advantage by sending students their homework assignments. “They will post assignments online and then you can get the assignment online, do it and turn it in. They will send you emails on due dates,” Bogenreif (9) said.

Technology is a powerful tool that helps students learn, and there are many ways to learn. Students are now able to use the outside world to help them learn.

“Students use their Chromebooks for many things in my class. They access Docs and Forms that I create, as well as react to “What’s Going on in this Picture,” an activity from The New York Times,” Jones said.