Filed under Features

Making headway

Chanhassen High School has changed to fit the changing needs of its students since the doors first opened.

As the times keep changing so does our very own Chanhassen high school.

Today, the halls of Chanhassen High School are filled with the sounds of students laughing and talking about anything from the smart phone app Pokemon Go to the Netflix hit “Stranger Things.” But seven years ago, things were a whole lot different.

Chanhassen High School was first officially opened in 2009, with 1,437 kids enrolled in the first year.  It was expected to surpass the number of students in its neighboring “rival” school Chaska High School. Seven years later, with its 1,612 students enrolled, Chan is still going strong. But, a lot has changed throughout those seven years. From the students and teachers to the curriculum and spaces, things just aren’t the same as they were back the school opened.

In 2009 after all the hours of work were put in to build the school, the teachers finally began trickling in. Some teachers from the inaugural year are making the daily commute to Chan. “There was a little turnover in the staff, but the math department is mainly the same,” math teacher Donald Brooks said.

Not only has the staff changed over time, but a large part of the schools growth is its curriculum and specific additional opportunities such as flex, storm options, 20 minute break, and Post-Secondary Education Opportunities (PSEO). The school has adapted to fit the changing needs of its students. This is reflected in the school’s mission statement which states that the school wants “to prepare each learner for successful completion of a post secondary educational program, lifelong learning, and career opportunities, by providing personalized, rigorous, and relevant learning experience,” according to the CNHS website.

“I don’t know if it’s that we’ve turned into a less strict, or more flexible school,” Officer Bob Zydowsky said. “ We’ve really come a long way to making this school more like a college, with all the online classes and flex spaces.”

The is no doubt a difference in the school since it first began, it has evolved and grown into a learning center with updated technology, a variety of courses, and lots of flexibility for all the students to experience. And the school will continue changing as the years go on.

“Whatever the school looks like, I hope it continues to help students in the future,” math teacher Naomi DeLorenzo said.