Filed under Features

Guns n’ safety

Students and their families taking safety precautions when using guns.

Students+in+our+school+being+safe+when+it+comes+to+guns.+
Students in our school being safe when it comes to guns.

9,818. This is the number of children injured between 2001 and 2013 from accidental gun shots. What could have been done differently to prevent these tragedies? And what are people doing in your community to keep themselves and others safe?

Katie Bogenreif, a freshmen, and an active hunter and trap shooter, explained the steps she and her family take to keep themselves safe when using guns. Her family keeps their firearms in a safe that only her parents know the code to. Also, Bogenreif and two of her sisters have taken a gun safety class at The American Legion.

“We learned where the parts were and what they did and how to use them. How to put safety on and how to properly hold a gun and what to do and what not to do,” Bogenreif said.

Bogenreif stressed that although some might think is funny to point a gun at someone jokingly, you should never do it. She added that it is important to always be aware of where your gun is pointed.

“Always keep the safety on and don’t point guns at people, when loading and unloading guns always point the gun at the ground,” Bogenreif said.

Katie Bogenreif’s father, Kevin, has been hunting for over 40 years and has taught his children most of everything they know about guns and hunting.

“Always make sure it is pointed up and away from people and that the safety’s on,” said Kevin.