Filed under Student Life

Stressed to be the best

Amy Echternacht (11),  stressed about school work.

Amy Echternacht (11), stressed about school work.

Kathryn Shelley

Kathryn Shelley

Life can be stressful, especially during the school year. All students deal with some type of stress, some more than others. Whether it’s from homework, studying, or other activities, the ways in which one deals with stress can vary.

Elizabeth Hammers (9) said she has stress that keeps her from focusing in class from worrying about homework she hadn’t done the night before. “I deal with stress from school by sleeping and taking lots of naps and eating lots of snacks,” Hammers said. 

Hammers said sleeping and snacking helps by calming her anxiety. She shared advice with students who may be dealing with academic stress. “Do your homework and it won’t give you stress, and stay on task during class,” Hammer said. 

Sabrina Zehlke (11) said stress affects her social life. “I’m always concerned on focusing on my homework and studying for tests and so I’m always doing that instead of having fun,” Zehlke said. “I try to get as much done in school as I can, and if I can’t, then I’ll make sure I get help from teachers if I don’t get it.”

Zehlke said she also allows herself a certain amount of time to study and do homework each night. She said she does this so she doesn’t “spend as much time working on homework or studying. So I don’t over-study so if I know each night I’m going to spend 2 hours of homework each day, then I’ll limit my time for that rather than spending half my night doing that.” She gives advice of not letting stress overwhelm you and “take it step by step and don’t overwhelm yourself with everything.”

Nathan Filko (11), finds it difficult to keep his grades up when he’s stressed because when he’s stressed out “I tend to procrastinate.” When he’s also stressed, “I tend to zone out and have a hard time focusing on what I need to do.” Stress makes Filko concerned about school and will tend to just want to stay home to relax and forget about what’s stressing him out.

The main thing that causes stress in his life is school with the large projects and missing assignments. The way he deals with his stress is by finding a nice place to sit down and relax, usually playing video games with his friends. “This helps me by helping me calm down and forget about what is stressing me out at that moment,” Filko said. “I would recommend this to others because it gives you time to calm down and just take a break from what is stressing you out.”