Filed under Activities

CAP in a crunch

Senior%2C+Adam+Galler+one+of+the+presidents+in+CAP%2C+shows+his+dedication+through+his+two+years+of+service+to+the+organization.+
Senior, Adam Galler one of the presidents in CAP, shows his dedication through his two years of service to the organization.

Michaela Shelley

Michaela Shelley

CAP (Chemical Awareness and Prevention) is a club where students meet to share why they are against using drugs and help spread awareness of their dangers. Students who want to join CAP will benefit by having support from others and be able to surround themselves with kids of the same values.

“Having CAP on your resume will show great leadership skills and strong beliefs towards not drinking or using drugs,” Dorothy Clark-Miles, the school drug and alcohol counselor says. “CAP helps kids be proud of not abusing their bodies with drugs and alcohol and helping them make a stable future ahead of them,” Clark-Miles said.  

The club CAP started 15 years ago at Chaska High school and was brought to Chanhassen by Clark-Miles. The idea was to have a group of kids who all shared the same beliefs and values of not using drugs or alcohol. With 60 members and still growing the club meets on Thursday during options, but it may vary depending on schedules.

CAP member Ellie Matson (9) has a unique reason for joining the club. “With my diabetes, if I did drugs or alcohol it would affect my body worse than the average teenager, I want to be aware of my  health and stay positive through it all,” Matson said.

Adam Galler (12) A leader in CAP tells why he wanted to join the club. “I wanted to maintain a good reputation throughout my community and peers and strive to be a leader,” Galler said. Galler joined CAP his junior year, and says he was inspired by each meeting by going to middle schools and telling the kids about the dangers of alcohol and drugs. Clark-Miles came up to us and asked if I could be one of the presidents/leaders. Galler added that he wrote two papers for college and talked about being in CAP and how it impacted his life with volunteering and going to the middle schools.

Zach Piers (12) the other leader in CAP Tells why he decided to join the club. “ I decided to join CAP so I could stay on the right track going into college, and maintain a good relationship with my peers and family, without needing to use alcohol and drugs,” Piers said.  Piers added that people don’t really understand the dangers of drugs and alcohol and how scary it can be when you get caught in that situation. He says it’s rewarding knowing you’re the president of CAP because of how many kids you can influence.