Filed under News, Showcase

Finding the right size

With an average class size of 32, opinions on class size vary among students and staff.

Class sizes vary at school. This is one of Jennifer Rowe's smaller classes, with 3rd hour being her largest class.

Audrey Eidem

Increasing student achievement by reducing class size is a method that has been analyzed and discussed for several years. 

Chanhassen High School has an average class size of thirty-two students. Some students believe they are in classes that are too big, while others favor the large classes.  

“I think we need smaller class sizes so that students and teachers can offer up their very best, so that we can make relationship connections from teacher to student, and so teachers really know their students,” tenth grade English teacher Lara Etnier said.

In a report published by the National Education Policy Center (NEPC) in 2014, it has been proven that small classes have positive impact on test scores and positive outcomes in the following years. However, there is not enough sufficient research about high school class sizes, so it comes down to teacher and student preference.

“I usually work better in small class sizes, because it’s more individual teaching and you get to know your classmates better,” Grace Becker (10) said.

Other students see pros and cons to small class sizes.

“I do have some smaller classes that have less people, those tend to be a little bit less stressful just because you don’t have as much noise and commotion going on in the classroom but other than that the bigger classes tend to be more fun because you can collaborate more,” Ryan Druce (10) said.

Out of fifteen students questioned, nine students think that their classes are too big. Only two think their classes are a good size, and four were indifferent.

Administrative Principal, Erin Swoboda believes that class sizes is one factor of many which affects the way students learn, but thinks mainly the teaching that happens within each classroom, no matter the size, is the biggest factor in which students learn.

“If you just limit class size alone, it really doesn’t solve any of the problems. I think a lot of things can affect the way students learn, but it is really about the teaching that happens within the class,” Swoboda said.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Finding the right size”

1. Josh on October 15th, 2016 7:29 pm

This is amazing(10/10)

[Reply]

2. Natalie Williamson on October 18th, 2016 12:24 pm

This article is perfect! Such a good Read! 10/10

[Reply]

The Storm Siren is an open, public forum that encourages interaction with readers. We believe that good conversation makes us all better. Please observe the following guidelines: 1. The Storm Siren does not publish anonymous comments. You must include a valid email address and your full (real) name in order for your comment to be posted. Falsifying any information when posting a comment will result in disciplinary consequences. 2. If your comment contains profanity or threatening language it will not be posted. Thanks ~The Storm Siren Team

• Finding the right size

Clubs & Activities

Let’s go clubbin’

• Finding the right size

Features

New Addition to Chanhassen High School: The Quad

• Finding the right size

Features

Big Aspirations

• Finding the right size

Features

Future scientists study ants in Costa Rica

• Features

Gaining a little green

• Showcase

Life after high school

• Features

The gang’s all here

• Finding the right size

Features

Tackling health from all sides

• Finding the right size

Clubs & Activities

A passion for theater

• Finding the right size

Showcase

In Focus, the Yearbook Staff’s newest product

Finding the right size