Flexing out of activities

Clubs work to keep members and stay present in the school despite the new Options schedule.

Flexing out of activities

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Empty-classroom.jpg

Starting at the beginning of the year, when the school had their annual activities fair, the school was robust with possibilities of new and reoccurring clubs. However, walking down the empty halls during the latest Options period, sparsely populated classrooms were the most frequently viewed sight.

While some clubs have managed to stay afloat, such as the Anime Club, other small clubs that meet during Options, including the Fashion Club, have struggled. Melissa Greer (11) began the year hoping to restart the Fashion Club; however now only months away from summer break, her club was not up on the Options scheduler. Greer explained how after spending much of her money, time, and effort, she was unsure if she was even going to continue running the club.

“It’s hard enough attracting members to a small club when you’ve got people needing to take a test during options or make up late assignments, but when you add flex now to it, it almost makes it impossible to keep a club. Unless your friends are going,” Greer said.

On contrary, the Anime Club has found ways to get through this scheduling challenge, as they seem to still be working just as effectively as ever before. Faith Fischer (10), the vice president of the club, has been taking the flex Options head on. The club started from the shared love of anime from a few students, and their goal is to “show people that it’s not what they think it is,” according to Fischer. Whether that is through posters, the morning announcements, or having every member constantly spreading information about the club, she has advertised and upheld an environment the members are continuously coming back. Additionally, the Anime Club additionally has attracted members by holding events such as the Maid Café.

“We get a lot of people from that [events],” Fischer said, “That also brings people who don’t even know we exist!”

Anime Club has worked as a team to create the group they have currently. However, students like Greer who are running solo do not have the time and money to set up programs, especially when students are simply not going to show up to. As Greer puts it, “Who wants to stay at school for a club when they can go home? No one.”

Students may like the new flexible Options time, however, as the school continues expanding the program, some students feel as if it is taking away from a vital part of our community. Anime Club and Fashion Club may be going in two separate directions, but one thing is clear, they both are passionate about the activities in our school and do not want to see them disappear.

“We need more people to try and start stuff at our school,” Greer said. “I think it’s very important for students to be active with their community. It makes a school a more fun and friendly place.”