To Spring Break or not to Spring Break?

Some athletes sacrifice the beach for a shot at Varsity.

Back to Article
Back to Article

To Spring Break or not to Spring Break?

Students have the choice of enjoying sun or sports over spring break.

Jeff Peck

Jeff Peck

Jeff Peck

Spring break is a time when most high school students plan a trip to Mexico or some sort of warm climate. However, for some people this is more of a time for sports preparation.

There is a debate going on with coaches for spring sports to either let their players go on vacation or stay and go to practices

Psychology teacher and Track and Field head coach Andy Powell said he is a firm believer  is allowing his students to go on vacation over Spring Break.

“We allow for students to go on vacation if they want. If they choose to do so, we will give them a workout plan for their vacation,” Powell said.

Powell also added that if students are in town that they do go to as many practices as possible over the break to develop your skills as well as try new things.

This sort of flexibility that Powell and the other coaches give to the track and field athletes allows for them to go at their own pace and “roll with it,” as Powell often says.

On the other end of the spectrum, baseball is another story.

Out of the ninety students that typically go out for baseball, only ⅓ of them are required to attend practices/tryouts over break.

“This is primarily for seniors and people who we believe have a shot at Varsity,” baseball head coach Chad Mattson said.

According to Mattson, players are informed long before Spring Break if they are required to attend. From there the players are given individualized goals for them to strive towards and achieve.

This requirement of having to go to practices allows for the athletes to really focus on their sport as well as help unify their team for the upcoming season.

“Oh, we train them pretty hard over Spring Break,” Mattson said with a smile.