Filed under News

Technology backfires

Back to Article
Back to Article

Technology backfires

CC0 Public Domain

CC0 Public Domain

CC0 Public Domain

There are many habits that affect the way someone can live. The one habit that affects us a lot is sleep. According to the popular culture website Distractify, we sleep for ⅓ of our lives or about 25 years. The way we sleep affects the way we function throughout the day. Doctors recommend sleeping 8-9 hours a night.

A recent study done by techtimeout.com, a sleeping habit website, proved that most people ages 15-69 get less than 6 hours of sleep a night.  According to the site, the number one cause of sleep deprivation is technology use. Students use technology most of the day and don’t get enough sleep. Students use technology about 5 hours a day. “I use of technology about half of my day,” Dylan Hernandez (10) said.

Many Chanhassen students fit into the category of sleep deprived. “If I don’t sleep well, I don’t perform well,” Italo Roche said.

According to Web MD, 55% of people use technology prior to sleeping. When people use too much technology it rewires the brain so it won’t shut down before they sleep. This causes people to not get enough sleep and not perform as well at work or school, according to Web MD. Many agree that less technology use at night can lead to more sleep, which can leads to better health and more academic success.